I’ve been wanting to make a Zadie jumpsuit since it exploded all over my Instagram feed last year. It was one of those designs that looked great on everyone no matter what size or shape you are.
I’d had a copy of the pattern printed and waiting since late summer, and spend a lot of time procrastinating over which fabric to use. I was tempted by a leopard print viscose I have in my stash to make something a bit fancy for the party season, but I never got around to it.
A few weeks ago I was browsing one of my favourite independent online fabric shops Sew Me Sunshine and found some beautiful green cotton poplin with a pink and orange flowers (looks like it’s currently sold out). I bought 2.5 meters with the Zadie in mind.
We’ve had some beautiful weather here in the UK whilst we’ve been in lockdown so I decided to get this cut out ready for summer. I opted to make the sleeveless version and just managed to get everything cut out of the fabric I had.
My current measurements are B34.5 W30 H40.5 and based on the finished measurements I decided to go for a size 10 at the shoulders and bust and grade to a 12 for the waist and hips. I cut the length of the trousers at the biggest size. I know it’s a bit unconventional but it usually works for me.
I’m not usually one for making a toile and I was a bit worried as it was coming together that I should have added length to the waist and rise of the trousers too. But, it has turned out really well fit wise. I can comfortably sit down and it doesn’t ride up when I move around.
This is the first pattern I’ve made by Paper Theory and I have to say I am very impressed with it. The instructions were very clear and I didn’t find any part of construction tricky at all. I don’t usually like a bias bound neckline, I’ve had too many problems in the past trying to get them right. This time however I managed it really well, I think it’s probably a combination of the new sewing machine, the stable fabric and confidence I had in the design that helped here.
The construction took only a few hours spread over a couple of days, and I’m very pleased with the end result. This year might be the year of the jumpsuit for me, I’d definitely like to make this again. I’ve seen so many lovely versions in linen, hacked into tops, playsuits and dresses. The options are endless with this one.