I am a big fan of Sew Over It patterns and I was excited to get my hands on the Eve dress pattern when it was released earlier on this summer. So excited I made it twice. When deciding which size to cut I spent some time reviewing the finished measurements and considering it is a wrap style I decided to cut a straight size 12. To make it even easier I also cut the pattern tissue! I have never done that, I’ve always been a traced off paper patterns – I felt like a naughty schoolgirl.
I made my first Eve dress in June and I decided to use a fairly inexpensive pale blue viscose as a “wearable toile” which is very much like the illustration on the pattern envelope. I found the instructions clear to follow with lots of illustrations, as is standard for Sew Over It patterns. The dress comes together quite quickly, there are no darts to sew on the bodice pieces, only some gathers on the shoulder yoke for the bust shaping. Plus the wrap style means no fiddly closures and fitting is easier. In order to get a neat finish on the front neckline you really do need to take your time when sewing the front bodice pieces. As they are cut on the bias they are susceptible to stretching out of shape if you handle them too much. I used lots of pins when cutting and kept the pieces on a flat surface until I was ready to sew them up. Once I’d started the bodice construction, I made sure I had enough time to get the stay tape attached to the front neckline within that session.
I had a slight mishap with the sleeves on the first version – I lost the first pair I cut, I inserted the second pair the wrong way round, then I managed to get one of the sleeves caught up in the overlocker! I didn’t make any alterations to the pattern, just sewed up a straight size 12. I didn’t alter the hem length either (I’m 5ft9in).
I’m very happy with the first finished dress. I love the colour of the fabric and the way the viscose swishes around as I move. Plus I think the style flatters my frame and it makes me feel good when I wear it.
I was hoping to sew up another Eve dress for a special occasion using one of the cotton lawns we stock. But as I was putting the finishing touches to the first dress, Bianca of Sleepless in Bavaria popped up in my Instagram feed with her beautiful Eve dress in this stunning Liberty print.
Luckily for me I had be hoarding enough of the exact same print on a cotton lawn base or a few years. So as soon as I saw Bianca’s dress I knew I had to use it. It is one of my most favourite prints and I’ve always been scared to commit to a pattern for it. What it I chose the wrong design? What if I messed it up? Well I now knew it was the right pattern, as for messing it up… I gave that one a good go! Having recently sewn the first version (in slippery viscose), I was overly confident when it came to using the Liberty cotton lawn. It all started with the cutting, I managed to cut two right hand front skirt pieces. I had enough fabric to cut another, but it had be cut on the crosswise grain, thankfully this design isn’t directional! Then I managed to sew the stay tape the the wrong side of the fabric. I didn’t bother correcting it as I didn’t want to risk stretching out the neckline by unpicking it and re-attaching it. It doesn’t impact on the finished dress as it gets folded over so you can’t see it. It just annoys me because I know its wrong. I managed to sew the sleeves in this one first time so there is a bonus!
Overall I am so pleased that I’ve finally used this fabric and I am so thankful to Bianca for helping me figure out which pattern I needed to use for it. I wore her out for the first time last week for a casual stroll around Coleton Fishacre in Devon. Even when it was raining and people were dressed up in cagoules and walking boots I felt great! It is a pattern I will sew again and again, its perfect for summer and with the long sleeves and straight hem I think it could be a staple in my wardrobe this autumn.
19th August 2017